FB II Compiler

PG PRO

Debugging

Memory

System

Mathematics

Resources

Disk I/O

Windows

Controls

Menus

Mouse

Keyboard

Text

Fonts

Drawing

Sound

Clipboard

Printing

Communication

ASM

Made with FB

FB II COMPILER

Eliminate strange compile errors



I have had infuriating cases with supposed problems in the runtime.
Normally they go away when i replace the staz extras but occasionnally no.

Then you have to go to heart surgury.

Do this (each and every step) order doesn't much matter
1/ Replace Staz Extras (grab the one from the working Mac :-)
2/ kill the pi file
3/ open all your program files (.INCL, .MAIN, .FITR, etc) in resEdit and erase *all* the resources in them just leave the data.
4/ verify the integrity of all the resources in your .rsrc file this means opening ResEdit with the alt-key pressed and then looking at each resource in list view to try and see if one is abnormally large - if it is then replace it from a backup. (in fact if the resource file is OK on the other mac, just copy it in)
5/ had you not said what you did (but in case anyone archives this i would also reccommend using TechTool 1.17 on your system file)

jonathan


Another thing on the Contaminated incl file ..

In response to a private letter to Ted .. He pointed out something that I was unaware of

<< a hidden character problem which use to crop up back in my old Apple II days. Every once in a while I would hit some combination of keys that would enter a control character into the code and bingo, the code wouldn't run anymore. >>

That hidden Char is a REAL "Bug A Boo" AND .. The Mac has it too ..
I am an atrocious Speller .. and a very poor typist .. My "Delete" key is the Most Used Key of the keyboard
So I often get a contaminated FN where I've made several changes or additions in an FN on one incl file .. And did a Compile All after each change or addition ..
The incl file gets Contaminated .. Not the Project Manager ..
If I copy it .. ALL .. Copy .. & Paste into a new incl File .. The new incl file is ALSO contaminated ..
BUT .. If I copy the old File a few parts at a time .. Until I've rebuilt a new Duplicate ..
The Corruption is eliminated
I've always blamed FB .. Now I know it is my "3 Finger Keyboard" that enters a hidden control character into the code
Thank you Ted .. And you are right ..
SOMEONE in the "list" knows the answers when you have a problem
Sorry Andy .. for my insistence a couple years ago that it was an FB "Bug" .. I was wrong

Jim Henson