Nobody seems to have replied usefully to this message. I confirm that a String Length error message is given. In my version of FB the project is
' New Project Shell Ver 3.01
' by: Andy Gariepy Jan 30 1996
and the error occurs at line 379 of the .INCL file. The offending line is:-
FileNamePtr&.Nil$ = "untitled" + STR$(Wnd-_myFirstDoc+1)
1. This isn't a "real" string length error. In FB preferences, if you set Check for string/array overflow to OFF, and recompile the whole project, no problem seems to arise from this line. Therefore it is a bug in the string-length-checking code. It's certainly not your fault, Alessandro.
2. The easy way around the bug is just to leave the preferences with no checking for string/array overflow. Bitter experience, however, teaches us that this is a _bad_ way to develop software. We should all want to have checking ON.
3. Replacing the offending line as follows fixes that problem:-
'FileNamePtr&.Nil$ = "untitled" + STR$(Wnd-_myFirstDoc+1)
DIM 31 temp$
temp$="untitled" + STR$(Wnd-_myFirstDoc+1)
BLOCKMOVE @temp$,@FileNamePtr&.Nil$, LEN(temp$)+1
4. Then _another_ string length error needs fixing, in FN myFileSetInfo, at line 305 of the .INCL file. The offending line is:-
WindowInfoHndl&..myWindowFileName$ = FileName$
and the fix is:-
'WindowInfoHndl&..myWindowFileName$ = FileName$
5. Now we can run the compiled application with or without String/array checking. Whew!
Unfortunately, there is yet another bug, probably unrelated to the above, which causes the application to crash when saving or opening an empty document (on a 7200 with Sys 7.5.3).